Overview Of Environmental Sciences
The Department of Environmental Sciences ( DES ) was established along with the establishment of the Faculty of Environmental Sciences & Marine Biology (CESMB ) in 1996. DES is one of the unique scientific departments as it represents a distinguished field not only in Yemen but also regionally in terms of its specialized program and its association with the environment. Today, DES has just become a noticeable landmark of the Faculty and a scientific source which contributes to the development through the heavy burdens it carries to study all the aspects of environmental sciences and pollution control in all its forms to achieve a clean and healthy environment.
DES received the first batch of students in 1997. Therefore, teaching process started at the beginning of the academic year 1997 / 1998. DES grants Bachelor degree. Throughout the past few years, 16 batches graduated, most of whom have joined governmental and non-governmental institutions related to the department’s field.
Arabic language is the medium of instruction at DES. The program depends on the regular method and the system of semesters. The academic year is divided into two semesters at the rate of 16 weeks per semester, while the full duration to finish the program is four years (8 semesters). The total credit hours of the program is 132 hours.
- To prepare graduates who have knowledge, skills and values related to the environment in all its aspects.
- To contribute to raise environmental awareness level in the community.
- 3. To conduct studies and environmental researches as well as monitoring their impact on the To contribute and environment.
- To build partnerships with related environmental institutions, departments and associations.
- To cooperate with the corresponding scientific departments in environmental issues locally, regionally and globally.
- To provide environmental consultations to civil society institutions and the governmental ones.